Through the GCVF Housing and Financial Assistance program, our ultimate goal is to reduce feelings of dislocation by connecting local veterans to essential services, helping them find suitable housing, and optimizing self-sufficiency among the individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Securing our veteran population in order to reduce homelessness is beneficial for both our local veterans and our community as a whole.
It’s an unfortunate circumstance that many veterans who return home are unable to afford housing. At GCVF, we feel strongly about the well-being and livelihood of veterans in our community. Therefore, through our Housing and Financial Assistance program, we aim to help transitioning and currently homeless veterans find suitable housing. We accomplish this in a variety of ways:
- Partnering with local landlords in order to secure affordable housing options.
- Coordinating with VA Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) to promote access to mainstream programs targeting homelessness.
- Collaborating with Continuum of Care, a program available through the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Exchange, as well as, other local government agencies that offer assistance for low-income and homeless Veterans.
- Dedicating a great deal of time to the application process for HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) vouchers. VASH vouchers are awarded based on geographic need and the administrative performance of the public housing agency (PHA).
- Financial Coaching. The Armed Forces Services Corporation provides financial coaching to veterans for free. Call Lucia Trujillo at (805) 335-0383 to make an appointment.
* INFORMATION FOR HELPING HOMELESS VETERANS *
If you are a landlord or property manager who wants to serve our veterans who served us, including veterans with VASH vouchers, please contact Amy Luoma, Housing Specialist County Consultant, at (805) 654-2876 or email@example.com. Additional information about the County’s efforts to end homelessness is available through the Ventura County Continuum of Care’s website.
If you know a homeless veteran in the Ventura County area, please let us know so that we can assist in arranging housing at a transitional house or homeless facility. Please contact us at (805) 482-6550.